Shadow Minister for Community Safety, Edward O’Donohue
The Crime Statistics Agency has today reported Victoria’s latest crime figures. In the year to 30 September 2016, offences that were up included:
• 42,754 assaults and related offences (up 12.6%)
• 54,219 burglaries and break and enter (up 13.7%)
• 186,636 thefts (up 17.5%)
• 3, 063 robberies (up 21.5% 3,063)
• 5,564 dangerous and negligent acts endangering people (up 20.5%)
• 23,768 drug use and possession offences (up 5.4%)
• 23,114 motor vehicle thefts (up 31.1%
• 61 murders (up 8.9%)
• 53 attempted murders (43.2%)
• 4,264 rapes (up 5.8%)
Comments attributable to Shadow Minister for Community Safety Edward O’Donohue
This isn’t a crime wave, this is a crime tsunami.
Crime is now up 19% in just two years of the Andrews Labor Government.
The latest statistics show crime continues to surge out of control under Daniel Andrews, up by 11.6% to the year 30 September 2016.
Under Daniel Andrews the justice system is in crisis due to weak sentencing, watered down bail laws, repeal of move on laws, cuts to frontline police and closure of police stations.
These statistics just confirm what every Victorian already knows, that our community has become less safe under Daniel Andrews with home invasions, carjackings, drive-by shootings and gangs such as Apex running amok.
Rather than his government leaking against each other, they should instead be putting Victorians first and focused on fighting the criminals and violent youth gangs that are hurting Victorians.
Victorians are less safe because of Daniel Andrews.
Media contact: James Duncan 0457 758 018 firstname.lastname@example.org