VICTORIAN families who are already struggling to manage their household finances are about to wear more financial pain after today.
Victorian families are already paying for Daniel Andrews and Labor’s mismanagement of the economy with 12 new taxes and higher costs of living.
When Daniel Andrews tripled taxes on Latrobe Valley power stations, he put Hazelwood out of business and sent the cost of electricity and gas soaring.
Daniel Andrews’ forced closure of Hazelwood has resulted in soaring electricity bills with average increases of $300 a household according to St Vincent De Paul Society.
On Sunday, running a car in Victoria became more expensive with standard car registration fees set to increase from $800.80 to $816.50 while EastLink and CityLink tolls will also rise with the maximum toll for one way trips taken on EastLink set to increase to $6.25 and on CityLink to $8.10.
Daniel Andrews’ new $1 tax for all taxi and Uber trips will particularly affect passengers living in the regions and the elderly who use taxis to get to and from medical appointments.
Fines and penalties will also be increasing with the value of a penalty unit to rise from $158.57 to $161.19 which will result in fines for exceeding the speed limit by less than ten kilometres exceed $200 for the first time.
Council rates will also rise by up to 2.25% with many seeking approval from the Essential Services Commission to exceed that amount.
Before the last election, Daniel Andrews promised “no new taxes” but after the election he introduced or increased 12 taxes.
You couldn’t trust Daniel Andrews’ on no new taxes then and you can’t trust his word on no new taxes now.
- Tripled brown coal royalties
- Introduced Uber and taxi fare taxes
- Increased stamp duty on new cars
- New stamp duty on off-the-plan purchasers
- New so-called ‘vacant home’ tax
- New annual property valuations to increase land tax
- New stamp duty on property transfers between spouses
- New point of consumption gambling tax
- Increased fire services property levy
- New land tax surcharge (subsequently tripled) for absentee owners
- New stamp duty surcharge (subsequently increased) for foreign purchasers
- New city access tax for West Gate Tunnel
Please download this press release as a PDF
Share This Release
Back to State Press Releases